Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Collecting Again

It has been a while since I have updated this blog. And a lot has happened in between. For starters I have changed jobs 2 times over the last year and we are now running around with our 3 and a half little girl. Time does fly when you are having fun.

The 1st job change was not a decision of mine, I got retrenched from the company I have been with for the last 6 and a half years, it was a Wednesday September 26. I think it was more of a disappointment that they let me go with about 23 other staff. I think I became too complacent and over confident that after serving them loyally and diligently for a number of years, I was sure that they had a use for me still. We'll we now know that you can't rest on your laurels if you are working for any company (big or small, corporate or private), just keep tooting and blowing your horn or trumpet or whatever so the bosses take note not to get rid of that useful person). OK now that that is out of my chest (took me a year to expel that bad taste).  I am now at peace with the world..... I believe that they are still downsizing, it has been a blessing in disguise to be one of the first ones to go.




I spent the day after which was Thursday September 27, feeling sorry for myself, it was my little girl's birthday tomorrow Friday September 28 and all I could think of is how sorry I am for myself. You know she was only little but she had the sensitivity to come up to my face and touch it with her chubby hands to somehow say 'it will be OK daddy'. It was like a jolt to me and I changed my focus right-then and there. I had already called an agency on Wednesday and rang them again on Thursday. It turned out that I have a job interview lined up the next day, my daughter's birthday, Friday September 28. The company was SA Tourism and I ended up working with a great bunch of people for about 5 months. They have become lifelong friends and am still in contact with them now... Thanks to all at SA Tourism for making me feel very much at home.... You are a great bunch.

The 2nd job change was out of necessity and it was my call this time. I jumped from being a freelancer to a full-time position with a small advertising agency in Adelaide called The Right Mix. My current role as creative director has opened my eyes to the advertising side of life. The design background that I have had stood me in good stead with Tony, our managing director, friend and somewhat mentor. I have been made a part of the family and the company and I will be ever so grateful to everyone at The Right Mix for this.

I have been with them for nearly a year now and am feeling settled.... But there are exciting times ahead for us at The Right Mix, a lot of positive changes to come...

Stay tuned for more collective D updates.

No comments: